.NET Core is Open Source
I am really amazed. It may be strange but I was sure that MS some day will open .NET source code, especially after showing “roslyn compiler” some time ago. Now projects on .NET foudation list is quite impressive. Take a look and find what you would like to explore.
What is more
- Microsoft puts codes on Github instead of old coldplex -> https://github.com/dotnet
- .NET Core will run OFFICIAL on OSX & Linux - this point I still cannot believe
- Free Visual Studio to everyone - new community edition which equals to professional instead of multiple “express” edition for every part of platform
- MSDN users will get Pluarsight as a bonus
- Visual studio support for Apache Cordova support & Android emulator & Visual C++ for Cross Platform Mobile Development -> full mobile development inside VS
What does this change?
- I am almost sure that .NET apps will still run best under Windows. But cool things is that you can use any other system to develop them
- Some companies (especially small ones) will stop buying MSDN subscription -> why to pay if VS is for free
- Microsoft proved that it see power in community
- “-aaS” is future for making money - this can be MS new statement
Probably this weekend I will clone .NET Core and start to analyze what is inside. Maybe some pull request on Monday ;)
We are living in interesting times and this is really cool